20 April 2012

Bleach ombre shirt's d.i.y

I'm sure everybody has seen the ombre hair trend everywhere by now, even though i think it look's really pretty I'm just not brave enough to do it to my own, instead I ombre shirt's.
Ombre is actually a french word/term for 'shaded' generally meaning that a dark colour fades to lighter. Apologies to the french If i am wrong, I haven't studied french for a while now.
I really want to try this on denim as I think the effect look's so good, they can be quite pricey in shop's so hopefully I can pick up a cheap shirt or jacket in a charity shop and have a experiment.


I did equal measures of boiling hot water to bleach to begin with then added a bit more bleach. For the first black t-shirt I tied it up in a rubber band just so I didn't dip it in too much and knew where to stop, as you can see from the outcome it left un-even lines so I didn't do this the second time. I dipped in the shirt as far as I wanted the graduation to start and left it for a couple of minute's. I dipped in the bottom half of it about 15cm and left it for longer, the longer it's left in the bleach the brighter copper/red will be. Some people tend to soak the whole shirt in water before dipping it in but I totally forgot to and just went on in.

Wash it out with water and squeeze it through so all the dye/bleach can run out then leave for 20minutes or so. If you washed it straight away you'd tend to lose the colour.

I also did grey and it turnt out a vibrant orange, I left this in a bit longer then the black shirt. I don't have a clue why it goes up like a mountain it must have fell in the bleach a bit. Third time lucky, my other burgundy shirt came out much better when I sprayed it instead, I also did a dip dye on it but I'm waiting to see how it come's out when it's dried. I fringed the black one too I decided to cut them a lot longer then this one and tied a knot in them. The orange is much lighter at the bottom where the fringing is, I think it's because the sun was so bright so it didn't show on the photo's. 



I didn't really know what to expect when I attempted this d.i.y, I'm definitely going to get some white shirt's & jean's and try doing the same way but with fabric dye, ombre shirt diy-ing take 2!  I think it would come out a lot better because you can control the shade's much better then bleach.



Have you tried this before?
Share:

16 comments

  1. Oh my god this turned out amazing! In the picture of you wearing it, it looks like you bought it like that and I actually like the mountain effect :) xxx Great pictures!! xxx

    http://sparkleinsequins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's lovely of you, thank you!

      xx

      Delete
  2. I second Aveen - the mountain effect shirt is great!

    xunderscoreclaree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! Especially the sprayed one :) Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the effect the spraying gives :)

      Delete
  4. Looks so good I might have to give it a try!

    joanne from jimmilou.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that looks so good! Deffinately will be giving that a try! I have always wanted to dip dye my hair pink, but i think its a bit over the top aha! Would love it if you could take a look at my blog -
    http://lucy-abigail.blogspot.co.uk/
    Lucy
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so tempted to dip dye my hair, just worried it'll go so wrong!
      Thank you xx

      Delete
  6. I'm doing something like this sometime soon! I love the idea of the spray bottle, I haven't seen people do that before!
    Thanks for sending me your link earlier, I followed!

    islaay.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been looking up different ways to do this recently! As soon as my exams are over I'm going to be tie dying my hole wardrobe haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found myself dying so much lately, oop's!

      Delete
  8. I haven't tried this before, but it looks so cool and I love the effect it gives! Definately will give it a try! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember tie dying in high school I haven't tried it since. I'm thinking of an idea now right as we speak. You did a great job! and thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow,you are great, I also like the t shirt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I appreciate every comment!

© S J M W E L L - Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle blog. | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig