19 June 2012

Easy way's to clean make-up brushes


Alot of the item's I use to clean my make-up brushes are standard household item's that are generally in the cupboard and don't really cost alot, I like to pick up the bigger cheaper brand (usually supermarket's own) bottle's of them so it lasts longer, it work's out much cheaper.

The first time I cleaned my brushes I used baby shampoo, I'd heard it was gentle and good to clean brushes. It tend's to get on sale alot for £1 for a giant bottle so I just stock up then and it last's me forever. The only thing with baby shampoo is I don't think it disinfect's as well but it work's really well at cleaning them and making them baby soft (bad joke).
Another way I clean my brushes is using olive oil mixed in with a disinfectant/bacteria washing up liquid, olive oil break's down make-up and removes it while the liquid is disinfecting it, it work's really well and you can pick them up in the pound shop or supermarket cheaply for huge bottles, it doesn't have to be a 'big' brand.Lately I tend to just use ELF's make-up brush cleanser, it was the cheapest cleaner when I googled so I picked one up to try it out, it actually work's really well at removing and cleaning the brushes quickly so I'm happy with it, I know Mac do one but I knew I'd go through them quick so didn't want to pay too much. When I make an ELF order I like to pick up 2-3 bottles of this to stock up so I don't run out and have to make an order just for a few thing's (ELF please get a u.k store to stock your thing's!)
With concealer and foundation brushes I always wet the bristles and then pour a tiny amount of olive oil on my hand and rub the brush gently in it, it literally takes 10 second's to break all the cream messy concealer down and off the brush, then set them to the side and wash them with the ELF cleanser last. I always found myself taking so long at trying to clean them with the cleaner but it did nothing, using the oil is so handy.

I'd really like to try the spray brush cleaner's that instantly dry so I can clean them quickly mid week.
Once I've washed the brush I make sure all the excess water is squeezed from it and leave it to try face down so any water can go out of the brush instead of inside the rest of it and damaging it. I always re-shape then when they're wet so they dry into their shape.

What do you like to use to clean make-up brushes? any tip's?
Share:

10 comments

  1. I use baby shampoo as well but Im going to try olive oil and disinfectant washing up liquid as I always wonder should I be disinfecting my brushes xxx I agree with you I have the Mac brush cleanser and waste loads which is a waste of money! Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It work's so well together at cleaning them! I'm glad i never brought the Mac one, I get through alot of the Elf cleaner xx

      Delete
  2. I've recently started using baby shampoo for mine and i love it, it makes them smell so nice and feel so soft! really want to try some of the elf brush shampoo though! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Love how soft they go! xx

      Delete
  3. I have the Elf brush cleaner. I never thought of using olive oil! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using it, wouldn't be able to clean my foundation & concealer brushes without it :) xx

      Delete
  4. I usually just use baby shampoo but i think im going to give the olive oil and washing up liquid ago as i hardly ever clean my brushes and they need a good clean! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using them together, I'm the same- I often forget! xx

      Delete
  5. I had the elf brush cleanser but it ran out a couple of weeks ago so I started using the same baby shampoo that you have. It smells a bit weird but cleans them well!xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use snow fairy or the sanctuary hand wash, leaves mine super soft and smelling lovely, haven't had any shedding so I'm sure it doesn't damage them :D

    Lucy
    http://lucyywrites01.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I appreciate every comment!

© S J M W E L L - Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle blog. | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig