13 November 2012

How I take blog photo's in low winter light - Review


Today I have something I'm very excited to be posting about, mainly because it's my new favourite thing for my camera and something I can't be without this winter- even all year round. 
After reading many #bbloggers chat's over the month's it seem's many other blogger's have the same issue as me; when it come's to photographing thing's for post's in winter it can be the biggest pain. Using flash bounce's off the item's and ruin's images, not using flash it's too dark and off colour. Introducing my new favourite item, the 'Light Tipper'.


Now, yes it does look just a little bit odd sitting there on your camera, chilling. But it's the most handy thing I have in my camera bag. 
When you are taking photo's in low-light and darkness the flash tend's to automatically pop up, I absolutely dis-like using flash ever. In my opinion it ruin's photo's with red-eye, over exposure and just washed out image's. How this work's is your attach it on the top of your camera and reflect's the flash by making it bounce off the mirror on to a wall or object behind you. This mean's instead of the harsh flash bouncing off of the object you are photographing e.g make-up product's, you for outfit photo's etc. It instead bounces off of the wall yet still make's you achieve a nice bright image. 


£3.95 - Available here
With this you really do not need to do much with the lighting, you could easily take images in a dark room and just use this with flash. Now the winter evening's are drawing in earlier and earlier it can be hard for people who work or study during the day to come home and take photo's with bad lighting. I'm a huge perfectionist when it come's to images and this work's amazingly well. 

I think the image's below do most of the talking;


L-R Taken as the sun is setting but still little daylight, using normal pop-up flash alone, Using the Light tipper with flash, off of the camera

The above daylight photo probably isn't the best example, by the time I took these photo's it was 10 minute's before darkness as the sun was setting! In some cases I prefer to use the light tipper as it seem's to give photo's that bit more oomph and brightness that light umbrella's give, you can definitely see the difference in the image's. Sometimes it's hard to believe I can achieve the normal looking images while using this and flash, it really was so so dark in the room when I took it.
I even used this when I took an outfit photo in my post here  Which I actually took half way through the night at 1am so It was pretty dark.

This is also such a little bargain, it only cost me £4. For the effect and handiness it gives it's worth every penny. 

This is actually a 'dupe' for the lightscoop which is actually $30-60 and not readily available in the U.K so if you were looking for that, this does the exact same job for alot less.

This fit's on most slr's etc with a pop up flash & attachment, most Canon's & Nikon's. I would recommend checking before buying. 

Available to buy here 
Do you like this? How do you deal with taking blog photo's in the winter?

Follow me on:


Share:

14 comments

  1. This is a fab post! I have been dealing with this problem for a while now as I work full time so cant take pics in the day!!!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh my I think this could be the answer to all of my prayers!
    Recently Ive had to stockpile photos of a weekend and use them in posts. This is so helpful!
    Many thanks

    Liz
    http://www.aspirationsofglam.blogspot.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I used to have to do, especially when the sun was shining.
      It definitely is the most handy thing I own for my camera! xx

      Delete
  3. Such a great post, might have to invest in one!

    Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! such a good investment :)

      xx

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of that! I may buy that if I can't find anything else helps. I was experimenting last night with putting tissue paper over the flash to soften it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow it sounds awesome! i have a cheapy ebay flashgun but it can be a pain to get it angled correctly. this seems to make it so easy. how long did it take to arrive from hong kong? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is- I love it!
      I got mine from a U.K seller but can't find the listing anymore. From experience thing's from HK take about 2-4 week's for me but I once received thing's in a week or two, very good! xx

      Delete
  6. I love the sound of this, great tip! I hope I can get one similar for my Fujifilm :)

    Charlee
    http://charmedcharlee.blogspot.co.uk
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah love the idea of this shame I don't own a DSLR (one day) but hopefully I can get something similar as I have a bridge camera. Thanks for the heads up on this!

    Becky
    beckys makeup

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, I definitely need to invest in one now :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I appreciate every comment!

© S J M W E L L - Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle blog. | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig